Wednesday 29 October 2008

Hrm

Dear Mother Nature,

I am writing to you today to express my disappointment over recent events. Whilst I am aware of the random nature of the weather forecaster's occupation, and their incredible inability to actually forecast weather with any accuracy, it concerns me that it appears that you have been incredibly selective in giving out your favours.

Perhaps you could take the time to explain to me why you felt the need to give snow to London, a city known to have temperatures a good two or three degrees above the area in which I live, and yet withhold it from me. It's been 70 or so years since you last gave snow to the ungrateful people of London, who bemoan the effects it has on their own selfish lives. I, dear Mother Nature, would not be so ungrateful. In fact, sheer excitement had me awake before dawn this morning to see if you had blessed me with your icy whiteness. Alas, no. You have forsaken me, Mother Nature. You give me sub-zero temperatures and ice on my car and on the roads, but no actual snow.

Have I not done enough to please you? If not, please be clear in what you desire of me. I praise the cold, crisp sunshine, even with its lack of heat. I even go so far as to praise the overcast and rainy days, as they do provide at least a few more degrees for us. I bless the stunning array of Autumn colours; I am in awe of the magic of daffodils who magically appear at the appropriate times. I appreciate all that you do to make this over-populated country of ours more beautiful. Last Winter, I observed the mere centimetre of snow that fell (which, I might add, melted too quickly to really enjoy) with the glee of a small child on Christmas morning. And still you spurn me.

I urge you, Mother Nature, to be kind to this poor Aussie living abroad. If I must live with freezing temperatures and outrageous heating bills, please allow me the pleasure of fresh, white snow.

Sincerely,

Sarah.

No comments: