Saturday 1 November 2008

Hey! Traditional English activities - I bite my thumb at you!

November 5 is, amongst other things, Bonfire Night. This year, the big fireworks displays are happening tonight, Saturday the 1st. I'm going down the street to the farm to see it (last year I saw their display from the train as I was on my way home, having supposed to have seen it properly). This is all well and good.

What is not so well and good, however, is the habit that is developing of going to see traditional English things in the pouring rain. I refer in particular to the Cheese Rolling Festival, also known as the coldest and wettest I have ever been in my life. Well, again, it's raining, it's cold (about the same temps in fact), and I'm going out to spend several hours outside. The main difference this time is that the fireworks are at night, whereas the cheese rolling was during the day. I guess that just means that I won't be able to see how cold and wet I am. Awesome.

No comments: