Saturday 8 December 2007

British Museum

After I'd finished at Harrods, I went to the British Museum. I got there, despite Transport For London's best efforts to stop me through their ineffective operation of the underground. On a side note, I swear it was their mission today to delay me and annoy me as much as possible - I did not catch a single train that wasn't delayed for one reason or another, and all up I caught 10. It would have been 11 but I gave up on the last one and caught a cab.

The museum was huge, and I don't know if it's just because I didn't go through the main entrance, but I didn't have a map to guide me around, so it was also a little confusing. I think I will have to go back more than once to take it all in, and especially to see the Terracotta Army which is currently being exhibited there.

I saw a great range of displays, from medieval England to ancient Greece, Egypt, and Rome. I also saw some stuff about Africa, and this other exhibit that had a theme about healing (I think - either I didn't pay enough attention or it really wasn't clear). It would be the perfect excursion for my old History's Mysteries class, if it wasn't on the other side of the world. Walking through the museum was like walking through a virtual reality-edition of the unit. I took plenty of photos to perhaps use in future.

They have the Rosetta Stone on display there. It's awesome to see things that I've read about, and even taught in classes - it really does bring history to life.
This is a decorated limestone sarcophagus, from the 4th century AD.

These are glazed bricks and stone carvings from a palace in ancient Persia.


Artwork from the Nubians (related to the ancient Egyptians).


A mummy (so cool to see those), with amulets for the afterlife laid out in a funerary arangement.


Last, but certainly not least, the Rosetta Stone. If you don't know the significance of it, then befriend Google.

No comments: