Tuesday 28 August 2007

Bloomin' onion

Some of you may have seen this on Rove, but I thought it was worth posting for those who haven't.

We went to a restaurant called The Outback Steakhouse. It's an American restaurant, not only in the UK, which is Australian-themed. There were things like Cairns Calamari, Gold Coast Coconut Shrimp and Long Reach (not actually Longreach as it should be) Lamb. Funnily enough, the Long Reach Lamb actually features New Zealand lamb chops, so I guess the thinking is that it's close enough to Australia to actually be Australian...

Anywho, without even looking at the menu, there was an immediate order of a 'bloomin' onion'. I didn't really know what to expect, although I did wonder if it was the same as I'd previously seen on Rove, and sure enough it was. Because an onion that is cut and expanded to a flower shape before being battered and deep-fried is just SO Australian!!! Even the waiter couldn't explain what was Australian about it (although he did give me several funny options).



Take it straight to the pool room.

No comments: