Friday 31 August 2007

Corfe Castle

Once we left Poole Quay, we headed over to the village of Corfe Castle. The village is home, surprisingly, to Corfe Castle. Whodathunkit? Unfortunately the keep of the castle is currently surrounded by scaffolding in order to do some repairs. Apparently, a random Japanese tourist was hit by a falling brick, and they may or may not have been killed.



Corfe Castle is home, so I'm told, to the best cream tea in the region. Unfortunately we weren't able to sample it on this visit, as it was Bank Holiday weekend and the cafe was packed, and they'd run out of scones. Sad panda :(

We recovered from this disappointment, however, and took a stroll through the streets. When I say streets, you need to understand that even with my short-ass stature, I could lay across the road and probably touch the buildings on either side of it. It's truly awesome to look up the street and see these huge stone buildings towering over you.


I believe that this may be the widest street in the village, which isn't really that wide. So you see my point!


The village of Corfe Castle is also home to the smallest town hall in all of England.


The oldest pub in Corfe Castle is the Fox Inn, which has been in operation since 1568.


Free house doesn't actually mean free house by the way, it just means that the pub is free to serve whichever beer it likes, as it is not tied to one particular brewery.

Having said what I did earlier about the roads, it's absolutely nothing on the road that we used to head out of the village. I don't have photos of it, as if I'd raised my arm and my elbow went somewhere near the open window, I'd have been stung by stinging nettles. We were in a Citroen, which thankfully had these cool wing mirrors that folded in at the push of a button. I say thankfully, as the foliage that was built up on the side of the road was so close that had I spat out the window, it would have bounced straight back at me. It's exactly the kind of winding country road that we Aussies imagine England is full of, and I wasn't disappointed. And can I just say, it was as much fun reversing down the road for over 100m just to allows someone to pass, as it was going forwards (although the sudden stop as we came around a corner and came face to face with the front of a 4WD was not so fun)!

No comments: