Saturday 19 April 2008

Big Pit


We got up to various kinds of mischief whilst in Wales, which included more snow and a visit to the Big Pit. Unfortunately I can't post photos of the second lot of snow, as I took them on Flaps' camera, so I have to wait for her to get home and send them to me.

I did, however, get photos at the Big Pit, or at least part of it. We couldn't take anything with a battery down with us, so that meant no photos of us being about 90m underground. The Big Pit was a working mine right up until 1980, and has since been turned into a museum. Tours are taken around by ex-miners. It was fascinating, in a completely different way to the Heritage Park, which we had visited a couple of weeks beforehand. I was surprised to not feel claustrophobic being so far underground. It was a lot more spacious that I had imagined. At one point we did turn off our head lamps to see what it was like for the kids who opened and closed the doors all the time in the dark, and it was a bit of a relief to get them back on.

It's blurry, but it's the only photo we have!

No comments: