Saturday 21 March 2009

Portobello Road

By the time the half term holidays rolled around, I was seriously ready for a break. I'd been through my assessment and was waiting on the results, but didn't have any choice in how fast they would come. I'd worked myself to the point where I'd made myself sick several times, and was in desperate need of something to do besides more work. In the end though, the matter was settled for me - I came down with a hideous cold and ended up spending almost all of the week off in bed.

I was determined to spend at least one day sightseeing, and dragged my sorry butt into London on the second Saturday. It was a gorgeous day, one that hinted that Spring was, indeed, on its way. I started my day at Portobello Road markets. For the life of me I couldn't get the song from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" out of my head! The markets are famous for their antiques, but I was more interested in just having a look around. I did pick up a couple of things there, but I can't give the details because it will give away what someone who reads this is getting for their birthday this year!




Once I'd finished with the markets (from antiques to jewellery to fruit and veg, right up to the flea market), I headed back into the West End as I was going to see "The Lion King". I'd seen it on stage before, in Sydney, but that was some years ago and I do love the film. By the time that finished, I was sick of the crowds, and headed home. I was tired and cranky, but glad that I got out of the house at least once that week!

No comments: