Thursday 25 October 2007

Back towards Carlisle

Once I left Scotland (I still laugh when I say that), I started heading back towards Carlisle. I didn't quite make it straight away though, as I saw a sign for Hadrian's Wall. I'd quite forgotten that it was up there, but couldn't resist the temptation. It was only about 20 miles from the motorway, and I figured it was worthwhile.

I got up there, not realising that I'd be traipsing up a sheep paddock to actually get to it. I had the wrong shoes on, and damn near slipped up on the way up to it, which would have meant landing in a big pile of poo. Luckily I didn't actually fall!

It was cold as a witch's you-know-what up there, with the wind blowing and me not being accustomed to much below 20 degrees. The view was once again amazing, and the thought of standing on something that had been built nearly 2000 years ago was something else. I can't even begin to fathom how these things have lasted so long, and when you think about the fact that it's about ten times as old as European settlement in Australia, it's really quite a feat.






My car, although hard to see, is the one on the right. As I said, it was a bit of a walk up that paddock!

No comments: