Thursday 25 October 2007

Penrith

I had gone on this trip without really planning specific things to do, except for a couple of places to visit. I had decided to see what the weather was like, and see what else I found when I got there.

So, on the first morning, I found myself on the way to Penrith, which supposedly had great markets. Unfortunately the markets weren't on that morning (a fact that I couldn't find written anywhere), but it was a nice place to visit all the same.



If you can't read it, the sign just above the door says that this business was first established by James and John in 1380 (although clearly not in its current form).

From there, I headed over to Orton, home of a chocolate factory (no surprises for guessing why I was going there). I turned off the main road, and just about ran over a sheep. Yes, a sheep. I laughed when my parents nearly did the same thing in Wales (although Barbara was later killed in a viscious hit and run incident), but it damn near happened to me. It would have done some damage to the Corsa that I'd hired! For those who don't know, a Vauxhall Corsa is the equivalent of a Holden Barina (Vauxhall is Holden over here).


I continued along the road a little further, and saw what I at the time called the 'cow sheep'. I haven't seen too many sheep in my life, and most of the ones that I have seen have been white. I saw all kinds on this trip, and took a photo of these two animals as I'd never seen that sort before. It was only when I uploaded the photos to my computer, and zoomed in to see that they were actually goats. They didn't look like it from a distance though, so now they are to be known as the 'cow sheep goats'. All kinds of new things in this country!

No comments: