Sunday 24 August 2008

Brighton

From the secret nuclear bunker we headed to Brighton. None of us had been there before, and after my Blackpool experience, I wasn't sure what to expect. In the end I was pleasantly surprised. It was what I had expected Blackpool to be, and yet wasn't. There were the usual tourist shops along the beachfront, and the pier was exactly as I imagined - full of games, nasty food and the fun fair.




We had parked quite a way from the pier, so we walked up along the top road (I'm not sure what it's called - there's a road that goes along the beach where we parked, and another one above it, which we walked along). We walked along to the Royal Pavillion, not realising that it cost so much to go in there, and not really sure what was in there. In the end we walked back to the beach for some fish and chips for lunch, before walking along the pier. Can't say I'm a massive fan of those piers - they're old and wooden and a lot of the planks wobble. I'm sure they're fine, but they don't inspire confidence, especially with the remains of another pier just beside it! However, if it burns down, it's not my fault...


We had been planning on visiting Hastings and Battle when we left Brighton, and whilst we did go there, we were too late to see where the Battle of Hastings had taken place, so we headed home. It's another recurring theme - being just a little bit too late for things!

No comments: