Tuesday 19 August 2008

To Birmingham, and beyond!

We left Stratford-upon-Avon, and headed towards Birmingham. Our final destination for the day was Warrington, which is near Manchester. We were intending to spend a couple of nights staying with friends of Tamara's. Birmingham is not that far from Manchester, and it was time for a break.

Now, avid readers (yeah, like you actually exist) may remember that the last time I was in I Birmingham, my original sat nav's battery died, and the car I'd hired didn't have a working cigarette lighter. Well, this time, it went one better. This was the second one I'd had since October 07, as the first one lost its life suddenly in Cardiff in April. This was also the first big trip it'd been on. Birmingham must be some kind of anti-sat nav society, as this one became what we fondly call an epileptic Arabic. Now, I don't mean to offend, but it took on a life of its own and did things that I didn't know a sat nav programmed in English could do! Firstly, it fell in love with the letter e. Yeah, you read that right. Suddenly I had nearly 30 favourites saved, with various combinations of e and E. Then, like that wasn't enough, it wouldn't let me access anything, before bringing itself to its grand finale - upside down question marks. I didn't even know you could somehow put in an upside down question mark! So, given that this was day one of a trip that could last up to a couple of weeks, I rocked on down to Tesco for a refund or replacement.

Sounds easy, right? Wrong. I was a couple of hundred miles from home, and home was where my receipt was. Despite the fact that Tesco could have sent the stupid thing back to the manufacturer without losing a penny, I couldn't do anything but buy a new one. So I did, this time a different brand. I'm hoping for a longer life for this one - 3 in less than a year, when I didn't even have a car for almost all of that time, is ridiculous!

Anywho, whilst looking for a Tesco, we realised that Birmingham is home not only to Birmingham Football Club, it's also home to Aston Villa. We did a proper drive by after we found Tesco, so that Tamara could take some photos. The photo below is hers - I was driving and didn't get any myself.


Other than that, Birmingham is really just like every other town in the UK, so we hit the road again.

No comments: